To be a great artist, one must be open to the art of learning and investing. I was fortunate to take part on Mario Dedivanovic’s “The Master Class” in Dubai with reality star/beauty mogul celebrity Kim Kardashian-West. In the span of my 13-year makeup career, I have adored Mario’s work on Kim way back they both got really big. I have waited for many years to attend his master class to update my makeup skills. & I finally made my dreams come true.
Hosted by BelleFemmeDubai, The Master Class By Makeup by Mario with Kim Kardashian was held in MusicHall – Zabeel Saray, Palm Jumeirah, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. This was the first major beauty event held at MusicHall, as well as Kim Kardashian-West’s first gig for January. The VIP tickets which we purchased via Eventbrite.com/KimandMarioTickets were $1668 and the goodie gift bags (full of makeup products handpicked by Mario and sponsors, and gift vouchers) were around $3,000+. The “meet and greet” was part of the event, and certificates are given after the class, too.
Accompanied with my fellow makeup artist friend, Cherden Reyes of “Cherden Denis”, we decided to book our VIP class tickets in 2016 and advance flights twice (as it got re-booked twice due to Kim’s tragic Paris robbery incident). The said class was supposed to be scheduled on Oct. 14, 2016 and got re-booked January 13, 2017.) but it was worth making our ends meet and the long wait. The event was flocked with VVIPs, celebrities, beauty/makeup brand owners, fashion/beauty/makeup enthusiasts and bloggers from all over the world and across the region.
Coming all the way from Qatar, we’re proudly one of those 600 VIP seats (we brought in our empty luggage on the class knowing that the goodie bags are huge!). There was also a non-VIP seat option which costs around $529 and was offered the last minute (no “meet and greet”, and no goodie bags). Each VIP seats had water, notebook and pen with Mario’s logo, with fiood and beverages served. Straight from the airport, we arrived at around 9:30 am at the hall but the queue was so long! We managed to be let in by 11 am and was enthralled by the massive VIP attendees. There were makeup booth stalls where in you can purchase products from.
During the master class, he demonstrated how to prep skin, his signature makeup looks on Kim, answered a couple of Q’s and A’s, and both of them shared insights about career professionalism and makeup artistry. I made sure to take every important notes down. Even though I know Kim was very close to pursuing makeup artistry already, she has confirmed it on the workshop by stating that she was sent to top makeup academies and schools in the U.S. by her father, celebrity lawyer (late) Rob Kardashian, particularly she is mentored by Joe Vlasco. She happens to also be a regular at M.A.C. Cosmetics. Yet, both of them didn’t really expect to be big. With their sky-rocketed fame, they have both collaborated on iconic makeup and beauty looks.
THE MAKEUP LOOK
Wearing ripped jeans and a simple white tank top, Kim jokingly told the crowd, “Let’s hope that Mario does a good job” as she made her entourage.
Mario and Kim has asked the crowd about the look to be demonstrated on Kim. Majority wanted her simple earthy smokey eyes and nude lips. I was rooting for a more bold lip so we can really see the greatness of Mario’s perfected lip technique. Either way….yes, Mario did a good job, Kim! The finished Kim Kardashian-West’s flawless signature smokey eye and nude lip done by Mario Dedivanovic seemed effortless. The skin looked so radiant and healthy. Here’s products Mario used on Kim:
- SKIN: Skin was moisturized using sponge and cream foundation was applied without primer.
- CONTOUR: Natural contouring from Wow By Wojooh contour cream on face and Rodial Skin care greyish-brown contour powder used on the nose’s sublte contour.
- EYES: Eyeshadows from Master Palette by Mario x Anastasia Bevery Hills eyeshadow palette
- LASHES: Mascara is “Double Trouble” Wow By Wojooh with stacked Lash Dubai individual lashes
- LIPS: Lipstick are random beige and light nudes from Mario’s custom personal Vueset palettes. You can get the look using MAC Myth and MAC Ravishing lipsticks. Accompanied with Bassam Fattouh Kashab and Sugar Pink lip pencils.
(makeup photos grabbed from Mario’s IG account MarioDedivanovic IG.)
MEETING MARIO AND KIM (and a bonus: meeting friends, his sister Marina Dedivanovic and mom)
It means a lot for an artist like me to meet people that have been my inspiration behind my success. Mario Dedivanovic has been my top makeup artist inspiration after the (late) Kevyn Aucoin. Kim Kardashian-West‘s makeup look has been requested by my clients so meeting her was also a great opportunity. I’ve met a new makeup artist based in Oman, Ash, and some VVIP friends from Qatar! We were in queue at the photo booth and we were told that our batch was the last to take photos. Seeing Kim and Mario so humble greeting and thanking everyone gave me a rush. The staff were the only ones allowed to take our pictures, so I have decided to allow the staff to use my professional personal camera instead for both Cherden and I. I’ve brought my spare Anastasia Beverly Hills Master Palette by Mario eyeshadow palette and a sharpie in case I can get them to sign it.
When it was my turn, I know how tiring it must been for the two, but Kim and Mario has welcomed me with hugs, kisses, and thank you’s. And of course, they both loved my signature rainbow hair. It was a bummer that autographs were not allowed but, yes! Kim whom even touched my hair and having Mario to laugh a bit with our wacky photo is enough! Kim looked so beautiful sans makeup, with makeup, and perfectly fit, too. The cameras made her look huge but surprisingly, she is petite and her skin is so flawless like honey! Of course, Mario looked so handsome, his bone structure and his green eyes are gorgeous. Also, his mom and sister , Marina were so sweet enough to be checking and thanking guests!
As we were about to head to the airport and leave, we double checked our goodie bags and kept looking for the provided certificate. Turns out, there was none inside the bag! We’ve double checked with the helpful staff, and Marina Dedivanovic was kind enough to approach us that they will be sending them to us via mail. I was really rooting for our certificate, though.
Overall, the experience was informative, refreshing, and surreal.
WHO IS MARIO DEDIVANOVIC
Celebrity makeup artist Mario Dedivanovic a.k.a. “Makeup by Mario” is this generation’s (late) Kevyn Aucoin. Responsible to the iconic sultry looks of Kim Kardashian-West, the Kardashian-Jenners clan, “classic but fresh look” of Kate Bosworth, Isabeli Fontana, Demi Lovato, Emily Ratajkwoski, Eva Longoria, Huda Kattan of Huda Beauty, and many more, every makeup enthusiasts and pros have adored and replicated his signature makeup looks. His very own eye shadow palette “ABH Master palette by Mario” is his recent makeup collaboration with brow artist/makeup brand Anastasia Beverly Hills which pretty much included his handpicked colors and are named after his personal experiences and people he adored. Mario is also Kim’s best friend and a family friend.
THE AFTERMATH AND WHAT I HAVE LEARNED
With my husband’s help, I’ve flat-layed the enormous products from the goodie bags. I just realized how luxuriously generous were the give-aways! There were discount code vouchers, too! From gold masks to luxurious Japanese skin care, it was a treat! I will be doing a post about the goodie bag on my next post.
In the future, I wanted to take another class with Mario. This time, it has to be in a workshop style, with smaller and intimate attendees. And hopefully, there would be a chance to practice makeup techniques learned from the class on the next future class with Mario’s guidance. I’ve also learned that I must’ve jut down important questions to ask Mario in advance.
As of what I have learned from the class, here’s some of Mario’s key techniques (I won’t be sharing more tips as it won’t be fair to those whom wanted to attend his classes):
- Always check your skin. Consider a dermatologist & your diet. This will help you determine your skin needs. Kim swears by great skin, the value of drinking water, and strict skin care regimen (either luxurious or organic).
- Moisturize skin. No matter what skin type one has, it is a must to hydrate skin to release it’s normal water level and condition areas. Every skin type is different so always make sure you consider having different skin care for oily/normal/dry/t-zone/eye area/lip condition as the skin cycle changes every season.
- Applying moisturizer with a sponge distributes the moisturizer in makeup application. Kim’s to-go to moisturizer is by Lancer skincare.
- Cream foundation is Mario’s top picks in foundation as it is buildable and can be either full coverage or natural. He has recommended Bobbi Brown and Makeup Forever cream foundation sticks.
- Buffing powder onto skin using a flat foundation brush only on areas needed.
- His signature “sandbag” technique which is his method of covering unwanted areas or undertones with a peachy cream concealer after foundation application, proceeded with a neutral concealer that matches skin tone, a bit of a lighter concealer to lift, with a damp beauty blender and baking with loose powder. I suggest this technique is best viewed on his class demos to know the precise procedure.
- Every parts of the makeup has to consist of 3-5 different shades to build the color and dimension.
- Blended contour is in. No more harsh lines.
- Subtle strobing/highlight is key to a healthy looking skin. Good bye shimmery-packed highlights!
The Master Class experience is game-changing to all makeup junkies, pros, and beauty enthusiasts.
Hoping you guys enjoyed this post. I will be posting about the goodie bag soon. Stay tuned! To learn more about Mario and his work, check out his makeupbymario IG and his official website mariodedivanovic.com. To get updated with the next Masterclass, check out themasterclass.com.
(All blog photos taken from my personal camera. Makeup photos of Kim and Mario grabbed from Mario’s IG. Poster pictures grabbed online.)